Serving in the Argentina Cordoba Mission July 2011 - July 2013

Serving in the Argentina Cordoba Mission July 2011-July 2013
Alma 37:36 Yea, and cry into God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord: yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

Tuesday 18 October 2011

WEEK 12 -Happy Mother's Day and always learning

Monday, October 17, 2011

Oh hey I forgot to say that our ward is having some problems with the members so we are trying to work with them, and some don’t seem to like us and it’s hard to get them to come out with us but we are doing our best and trying our hardest to have success. We won’t be having lunch with them anymore so that’s a little disappointing.  But ya it’s hard to work with them sometimes when they say they will but then always cancel on us but all is well love you all byebye

Ok so first off I want to say HAPPY MOTHERS DAY and your probs thinking hey it’s not even close to Mothers Day but here in Argentina it was yesterday so I’m a little late.  But hey I can still say it or I guess it would be Feliz Dia De Madres! 


So to start off I want to say that right now I hate dogs because they always bark and are trying to bite me and I’ve come close many times to kicking one in the head cause it’s trying to bite me with its rabies covered mouth but besides that I’m doing great haha. Like I’m trying my best and having my ups and downs of the day or week but I find that as soon I go out and start doing the work everything gets better.  Just have to do the service and all feelings of frustration or anything go away. I’m doing good I would say.  But one thing I am learning to love along with the people is futbol aka soccer, its soo much fun and I’m getting better already. We play at least once a week and it’s just a blast! So many new ways to do things its soo much fun and I hope I can actually compete with people now when I get back cause before I was and still am terrible!!.


But anyway this week I had my first zone conference and I got to say about 75 percent of the things said went right over my head. But from what I got it helped a lot and was really good. I find myself being so tired because translating all day hurts my brains and it just wants to shut down. I do my best always to listen but it’s hard when my brains doesn’t want to work.  So I just need to step back relax and then go at it again and I know I won’t understand everything but I try my best that’s for sure.  And I found out this week that my trainer also trained Elder Van Loo which was Elder Henry’s MTC comp so that was interesting to find out he’s my brother.


My comp is great though, we have a lot in common and there are times when I don’t agree with him and he doesn’t with me  but he’s a really good guy, and he’s nuts too. He’s from Texas if I didn’t mention that but man he’s a good worker, very helpful and encouraging.

 The food is pretty good, the other day I got to eat mashed potatoes and I didn’t think that was gunna happen anytime soon but it did. I think I’m becoming Argentine because they like to put mayo on like everything and so I put some on my potatoes like everyone did and it was really good actually I liked it so ya I’m changing in many ways I didn’t think possible!!  hahaha.  And speaking of food yesterday I ate the nastiest thing!  It was like this bread roll with moldy toothpaste inside covered in mayo and topped with olives so I’m not becoming that Argentine but man was it hard to eat, I was almost gagging luckily we got it as we were going out the door so they didn’t need to see my face when I ate it. 

 So interesting stories for the week, we got robbed last pday so that was fun, and don’t worry it wasn’t too bad cause we didn’t actually see who robbed us cause it was pick pocketed and we were just walking and I noticed Elder Lerma’s bag was open and we found that our cell phone was missing so now for the next while we are without a cell phone.  But a scary thing that did happen was our mission leader the same day was robbed by gunpoint. It was him and his wife who is pregnant and they came up and asked for everything and then pointed the gun at her belly and she fainted, but luckily they are all ok and they are doing fine now.  And also the other day we got caught in the rain. So we were outside and it just stared pouring and we tried to contact our way into a house cause our pension was pretty far and so we were out in it for about 30 to 40 min and like right when we got inside somewhere it stopped so ya that was fun. We came back and were totally drenched!!

 But yesterday was a really good day for me; I learned a lot about the doctrine and myself.  As I was taking the sacrament I was thinking and I know we teach that when we take the sacrament we are as clean as the day we are baptized and I’ve never really thought that is true before. But yesterday as I partook it hit me that right now I am as clean as the day I was baptized that I was perfect and free from sin, and a great peace came over me that I could really know that that was true and I can be that clean every week of my life form this day on, so just something I learned.  And how important it is to take the sacrament every week.  And then that night me and Elder Lerma had a little interview and I shared a lot with him and really opened up and was able to really feel the spirit as I learned a lot about myself and about him and the way we can grow together.  It was a great experience and we both shared a lot with each other.  But ya I learned a lot in the last 24 hours.

 Well thank you for the addresses and all that stuff. My area is pretty sweet idk how to really describe it so I’ll send some pics next week but it’s like cement and dusty a bit and just I don’t know its home now haha. I’ll try to think of an explanation for next week  but Erin and Sara so the people here love you guys, its kind of creepy.  We showed our pics to a member and they were like are they models'?  haha so ya and some of the guys in my pension are like wow they are so pretty , and this one boy said cuinado which means brother in law about Sara hahah aka he wants to marry you. but ya so they love your pics down here.

 Oh and mom before I go I want to ask you to send some recipes that I can make that are simple maybe if you can send one a week that would be great but 2 if you would like to. Your dumplings with the carrots in the broth I think, and also tuna noodle casserole.  But ya all is well with me and I love you all soo much!!!  I’m glad you are my family and give everyone else my love and those that are coming home from missions too.  I LOVE YOU ALL and hope the best for you



Love Your Boy  Elder Harker


No comments:

Post a Comment