Serving in the Argentina Cordoba Mission July 2011 - July 2013

Serving in the Argentina Cordoba Mission July 2011-July 2013
Alma 37:36 Yea, and cry into God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord: yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Hump Day!

It's been a year - time is flying!

Monday July 30, 2012





What’s up Harker’s!?!?!?!?!?!?





So I guess you’re all dying to hear the answers to your questions. I guess I’ll start with that.





How do you feel about that? (about being out a year now)


Well I don’t really know, the feelings come and go and change quite a bit, but really it makes me think about how little time there is left to work so I just need to get step’in and go back out to work. Its nuts to think how fast 1 year has gone and it scares me to think I only have 1 left. 





What has been the best part so far?


I don’t think I can put my finger on one thing that has been the best, but I can tell you that seeing someone make the changes necessary in their life to be baptized, and then to see them come out of the water clean is the most uplifting feeling in the world. To think of them when you first met them until that point is amazing to realize the changes people make for the Lord.





What has been the hardest/worst part?


This I can’t even point out either, but I really don’t enjoy my time when there are problems within the companionship. That does not make the time go by fast and it’s hard to work things out sometimes. It’s hard to teach and do what we do on a daily basis. 





What have you learned the most so far about yourself?


Probably I’ve learned the most about humility/pride, like I’ve said before it’s something that is present in all of our lives and it’s a constant battle. I always come back to thinking about that in my life and how lots of times that’s the causes to our problems. 





What do you hope to learn or want to happen in the next year?


I don’t really know.  I guess I’m not really thinking one year ahead, but I would like to become more of a selfless person. I just want to be able to serve others and I know that’s the purpose here in the mission but I want that to develop to be something that I do the rest of my life. 





Is your mission experience what you thought it would be – elaborate?


Yes and no. I guess I thought it wasn’t so much about relating with people, going to their level and helping them take the steps they need to while you are right there besides them. I thought it was more, we go, we teach, they change,  but I’ve come to realize it’s like fight through all the challenges of life side by side  with the people we are teaching. 





When you think of each companion you have had – what one thing comes to mind when you think of them and why you had that companion?





Who have you learned the most from and what is it? 


Well I did learn a ton from my trainer Elder L, but right now with Elder H I guess I’m learning a lot of things on my own. So it’s kinda a tie between the 2 because I think I’ve learned a bunch from both but in different aspects of life. I don’t know if that makes sense or not. 





Do you think you have changed and what are those changes?


Yeah I think I have changed, of course I’m still Kent, but my view of life or the big picture and my way of living I guess you could say has changed dramatically. It’s like life is one big chess game and you got to think of every move carefully. You never know what the opponent will throw at you but you need to be ready for each move. I don’t know it’s just like my mind is not in the here and now anymore, it’s in the future in the eternal perspective. I can’t name everything that’s changed but I feel I’ve changed in many ways.





How do you take these experiences and learning’s and keep them going after a mission?


I think really to keep them going after the mission requires me to be fully involved in the gospel, not in the sense where I have to go door to door still but to keep myself living what I just taught for 2 years. Keeping my focus on the eternal perspective once again. 





As you think about yourself before and now are there things you want to do differently after  - things you want a part of your life and/or things you don’t want in your life anymore? 


Yeah of course there are tons of things I want to change from times before, things to eliminate and things to add. Lots of the changes though I think just come down to time management, which is something I’ve always been terrible at. 





Well I hope that those answer satisfy what you were looking for and that you understand them.  I know some might have been a little vague but I hope not. 





So anyway I don’t have a lot of time left, but this week has been a great one!!! We have seen so many blessings in our lives and I’ve come to realize a few of the blessings we’ve received in the past that came to light in my mind. The Lord knows us so well and knows what we need at the right time. I’m still here with Elder H so I’ll be in my area here for 6 months but it’s been going great!!! We had tons of people in church yesterday and so that made me really happy to see that. We also had interviews with President this week and they came at the perfect time. Like I said last week was a little bit harder but after my interview everything started to look up and now I’m better than ever. Life throws lots of curve balls at us but if we keep going strong then we can eventually conquer them. 





Well that’s all for time but I’m super happy to hear that everything is going just great!!!! I hope Jonny is enjoying my room and that he doesn’t destroy it too badly while I’m gone. Anyway keep going strong fam. 


I love you all soooo much!!!!!!!! 


cya later





Love Elder Harker


No comments:

Post a Comment